The Path of Self-Discovery
Several weeks ago, in my blog post “Who Am I, and What Do I Need?”, I talked about gaining an awareness of who you are and what you need, so that the choices that you make in life are in line with your true self.
For some, this process may seem daunting. You may feel as though you have no idea where to begin. People choose many different ways to try to gain this awareness. Some will consult with a spiritual teacher, or begin a relationship with a life coach. “Self-help” books that are geared towards helping you peel away the layers to really get to the core of who you really are can often be a good first step to take. Meditation is often a path towards all types of enlightenment.Any and all of the above, (and I’m sure there are many more – feel free to comment!), on their own, or in combination, can help you begin and continue down the path of self-discovery. I would also like to offer you a basic tool that can also help get you started.
An Awareness Tool
This tool is a short set of questions designed to really get you thinking about where you are in your life, where you want to be, and how to get there. Your challenge is to really spend thoughtful time with these questions.
- How satisfied are you NOW with the different areas of your life, i.e. spiritual, personal relationships, professional, financial, physical, emotional, etc. List each area, and if it helps, rank it by number.
- What do you think gets in the way of your satisfaction in the areas where you are the least satisfied?
- What keeps you fulfilled in the areas where you feel the most satisfied?
- If you were to now envision your perfect life, without financial circumstances being a factor, what would it look, sound and feel like? If it helps, you can describe this in terms of the different areas of your life mentioned above.
- What is the first or next step that you would like to take to begin to feel more fulfilled? You can choose to describe the next step for any or all of these areas of your life.
- What do you need in order to take this next step? For example, do you need to do research, do you need to consult a mentor, and so on.
- Sometimes, the idea of taking the next steps can be overwhelming. So always think about this: What can you do RIGHT NOW that will put a smile on your face?!
These are just some ideas to get you started on your path. Of course, I also encourage you to contact me for a free life coaching session! I will be your cheerleader as you discover who you are, what you want, and how to get there!
- 3 Steps to Following Your Passion Fearlessly (balanceinme.com)
- Path to Self-Discovery (legendofanomad.com)